I sold Volkswagens back in the early 1980s. We had a few lonely Rabbit Diesels on the lot. They were noisy, slow and smelly, and a buyer had to be willing to sacrifice in order to drive one. Volkswagen's latest diesel, the 2011 VW Touareg TDI, makes no such demands on its owner. The 2011 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Executive carries a base price of $57,500 ($58,320 as tested) with a 3-year/36,000 mile basic warranty, a 10-year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty and EPA fuel economy estimates of 19 mpg city/28 mpg highway. Let's drive.
2011 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Specifications
- Base Prices: $47,950 (Sport); $51,800 (Lux); $57,500 (Executive)
- Engine: 3.0-liter turbocharged diesel 24-valve V6
- Horsepower: 225 hp @ 3,500 - 4,000 rpm
- Torque: 406 lb-ft @ 1,750 - 2,250 rpm
- Transmission: 8-speed automatic with Tiptronic and 4Motion permanent all-wheel drive
- Wheelbase: 113.9"
- Exterior Dimensions: 188.8" L x 76.4" W x 68.2" H
- Ground Clearance: 7.9"
- Curb Weight: 4,974 lbs
- Payload: 1,331 lbs
- Towing Capacity: 7,700 lbs
- Roof Cargo Capacity: 220 lbs
- Cargo: 32.1 cubic feet (behind second row); 58.0 cubic feet (behind first row with second row folded)
- Fuel Economy: 19 mpg city/28 mpg highway